beautiful, Ice, Ice fishing, North, Snow, W.H. Auden, Winter
North – cold, wind, precipices, glaciers, caves, heroic conquest of dangerous obstacles,
whales, hot meat, and vegetables, concentration and production, privacy. – W. H. Auden
- The way he uses an auger to makes holes for ice fishing before laying in the gill net.
- The way he pulls the polar shell over his leather mittens.
- The way he lays logs for a fire in the granite fireplace that he built himself.
- The way he knows what the temperature is without checking the thermometer.
- The way the snow and frost settle on his eyebrows.
- The way he climbs onto the roof to sweep off the snow.
- The way he snaps icicles off the eavestrough before they shatter onto the ground.
- The way he puts chains on his truck and that they always fit.
- The way he folds his trapper blanket at the end of the bed.
- The way he knows all the constellations in the winter sky – Orion being our favorite.
Photograph © David Dodds